[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] dschleef gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ext/matroska/

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Nov 14 01:19:04 CET 2003

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:

> * We require to put the effective license of the plugin here, not the license
> of every plugin we link to, as was discussed earlier. Note some things though:
> 1) linking to a GPL library requires changing the license of the plugin to
> GPL, too. You may not distribute anything that links to GPL code as non-GPL.
> 2) the LADSPA plugin is LGPL, even though many LADSPA plugins are GPL. The
> plugin does not link to them, so it is not bound by it (as isn't GStreamer
> even when you use GPL plugins).

This is a strange thing. Of course you can distribute libgstladspa.so,
it doesn't link to anything and plugins are distributed separately. And
of course the user can run her program with specific ladspa plugins, the
GPL doesn't affect running a program. So *what does it mean to make a
LADSPA plugin GPL?* They are never distributed as part of any other
work, they are always "separate works". It seems GPL and LGPL are
actually the same for LADSPA plugins, unless someone decides to do
something silly and link directly to a particular plugin, in which case
it's not really a "plugin" in that sense.

Just thinking, no conflict here ;)

> Disclaimer: IANAL

Me neither ;)

wingo.