[gst-devel] Patch: add xid property to xvideosink

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Nov 19 00:46:02 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 23:53, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> that's bull :-) developers use gst too.  We want to make sure gst-editor
> works well as an educational tool as well as a development tool.  If you
> can't set it from there, something is wrong.  properties are a good
> generic way to do this, however way they are implemented.

It's not like an XID is visible, or even known, to the developer at all.
It's just an computer-internal identifier of resources, like (as Dave
said) a file descriptor. It's not something that is abstractable to
something that the user or developer might want to adjust for manual
tweaking. It's not like each window has a fixed XID (just like it's not
like each file always has the same file descriptor number).

Realistically: how do you intend to have the developer know the XID
without writing an application that reads it out? And if he has such an
application, then why do we need to set it through gst-editor instead of
through that same application?

See the point? It's not a tweak, it's a resource.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer