[gst-devel] [Fwd: IMPORTANT: Modules requiring release for 2.5.0]

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Nov 20 16:17:03 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 12:17, iain wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 10:07, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> > Hi Julien,
> >
> > On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 10:30, Julien MOUTTE wrote:
> > > Ouch...
> > [..]
> > > The following modules require release [1] before next Monday, 24th November,
> > [..]
> > >   nautilus-media / gstreamer 0.7
> >
> > Thomas? If you cannot do it, I'll take this one. I'm at home this
> > weekend, and can probably work out a release sunday. Anyway, your call,
> > you're our release guy, I'm just some idiot that thinks that "make dist"
> > is really easy. ;). (And yeah, I know where the release document lives,
> > I've done it before. ;) ).

I still can't get it to build properly myself, so it's ok if someone
else releases it right now.  I'll get back to releasing for 0.7.3, I
promise.  I know it's a shitty job, but if we need a release, someone
should step up for this weekend.  (Though, 0.7.1 should be ok, no ?)

Just make sure people quiet down on committing stuff.  It's ok if it's
broken at this point, it's still a development release.

> The media-info in gst-plugins compiles with gstreamer-0.7. Copy it over
> from there for all the fun :)

Ok, will try and integrate both this weekend.

> Is there any good reason why media-info is "based" in nautilus-media and
> not in gst-plugins?

Yeah - people were saying how nautilus-media should be "API-stable" so I
wanted to grow media-info in the source directly, since it was the sole
user.  However it hasn't changed much in anticipation of the new tagging
system which I wanted to see how it would work out, and after that it
was unclear (still is) if nautilus maintainers want to keep views
around.

So I should sync with all people involved (Company for tagging,
alex/dave for nautilus, and gnome devs in general) to see if
nautilus-media by itself has a future.

As for media-info, I would consider it stable at the point where
a) it has a disk cache backend (like thumbnails)
b) people think the API is ok and agree to use it
c) we decided definitively how tagging is supposed to work in gst, which
is why I'm interested in seeing what Benjamin is about to commit.  I'd
rather work on it together in some way, but I understand his reasons for
trying to get it done first before showing it to others.  It does
however effectively block me from progressing on media-info (which I
still think would be great to have desktop-wise)

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
If your heart is not on my side
You're not on my side