[gst-devel] concept of state (was: of bins)

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Oct 7 03:07:08 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 15:57, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> GST_STATE_NULL
> This is a "naked" element. A newly created element will be in this state.
> Creation of an element will always succeed given enough memory. In this state
> you can't really do much more but query information about supported media
> types, püroperties or pads.

I'd like to add here that this does *not* mean that elements reset their
user (application)-set properties when going to NULL. I.e., all internal
settings are reset (things like file descriptors), but all external
settings (so properties set by the application, think of the file device
URI) will be kept in memory.

Apart from that, I pretty much agree with what you proposed. Thanks for
writing this down. :).

For Thomas: I think gst_element_set_state () is supposed to be
recursive, because the application always knows whether an element is a
bin or not. I don't think there's need for a recursive version of
gst_element_set_state ().

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer