[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: [gst-devel] Re: 0.8 in 2.6 ?

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Oct 8 02:28:02 CEST 2003

Hi Ted,

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 10:07, Ted Gould wrote:
> Unfortunately that code is an older version of ALSA, apparently the API
> changed significantly with ALSA 0.9. David Lazaro <dlazaro at well dot
> com> volunteered for doing this a while ago, I don't know if he's still
> interested.

Leif [CC'ed] just volunteered to have a look at the ALSA docs and see
how hard it is to write an ALSA mixer interface implementation for the
GStreamer ALSA plugin. Let's see how that goes.

Now, it'd be even cooler if Sun would also help us a tiny bit and write
a native sound output GStreamer plugin (and HP, and ... etc.); that way,
we'd have automatic mixer support for Sun's Solaris, too. :). You can
track down audio elements that support a mixer automatically, this isn't
implemented in the gst-mixer example program yet, but it's not hard to
do either - gst-editor shows how to do this, and with a tiny
modification, it's usable in gst-mixer (or gnome-volume-control-2) too.
I can try to implement this so you've got an example of how to do this
if you want me to.

(This is nasty, btw, because how is the mixer going to know which device
properties (and in what format) are needed by the element? For ALSA,
this works completely different than for OSS)

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer