[gst-devel] Re: gstreamer alsa mixer

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 22:53:03 CEST 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 02:22:04PM -0700, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 09:59, iain wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 10:11, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> > > The OSS one is written. The ALSA one isn't written yet, because I don't
> > > have a single clue on how ALSA works.
> >
> > Is there anyone who does?
>
> In any case, I think the challenge for a gstreamer ALSA mixer plugin
> will be deducing what channels of mixer do what based on the information
> ALSA gives you.

It may be possible for consumer cards.

Pro-cards like the RME HDSP have 24 input and 24 output audio
channels with a hardware matrix mixer for the output channels.
There is a special hdspmixer app in alsa-tools to manage it.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader