[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: [gst-devel] Re: 0.8 in 2.6 ?

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at gnome.org
Thu Oct 9 12:38:08 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 23:22, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 09:59, iain wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 10:11, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> >
> > > The OSS one is written. The ALSA one isn't written yet, because I don't
> > > have a single clue on how ALSA works.
> >
> > Is there anyone who does?
>
> I've spent a lot of time with the ALSA PCM interface, but none with the
> mixer.  I have a feeling that writing a *good* mixer plugin for ALSA
> that does the right thing on a variety of different soundcards will be
> very tricky.  ALSA takes the approach of being extremely flexible and
> generic at the cost of providing a very complex interface to the
> programmer.
>
> I have just recently discovered how to write an ALSA application that
> shows you your soundcards by name (this is in PortAudio CVS), and AFAIK
> this is the first program for Linux that has ever offered this
> capability.  With OSS it was always /dev/dspX and with ALSA it has
> always been hw:X.
>
> In any case, I think the challenge for a gstreamer ALSA mixer plugin
> will be deducing what channels of mixer do what based on the information
> ALSA gives you.
>
> Josh
Is a PortAudio plugin for GStreamer a viable option? It seems to support
a lot of architectures and if having a PortAudio output plugin and mixer
is possible I guess that at least for ordinary
desktop applications it might be a good way to increase our support for
different audio systems ?

Christian