[gst-devel] 0.8 in 2.6 ?

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Oct 13 02:05:03 CEST 2003

Hi Andy,

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 17:17, Andy Wingo wrote:
> Um, I look in gst-guile's gstreamer-support.h and I see functions like:
>
> GList*          gst_element_class_get_pad_templates (GstElementClass *klass);
>
> GType           gst_element_factory_get_element_type (GstElementFactory *factory);
> guint16         gst_element_factory_get_rank (GstElementFactory *factory);
> GList*          gst_element_factory_get_pad_templates (GstElementFactory *factory);
>
> GList*          gst_props_get_list (GstProps *props);
>
> These things just deal with gstreamer types, they're not custom
> wrappings. Should they (and any others like them) be added to HEAD?
> Typically these functions are in the category of "things that you can
> access with macros or struct fields but not with functions". Do we want
> functions for these? What kinds of dust corners are you thinking about?

Well, you'll end up with having macros and functions for each of these,
while they all do the same thing. Consider GST_STATE (element) vs.
gst_element_get_state (element) and so on.

I prefer macros, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I know Benjamin
prefers functions because that gives more flexibility. I don't mind
having both, but that sort of defeats the point of having the function.
;).

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer