[gst-devel] xoverlay interface in xvideosink/sdlvideosink

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Oct 28 01:34:34 CET 2003

Hi Julien & all,

xoverlay supports was just added to xvideosink & sdlvideosink in HEAD
CVS. Could you update gst-player/libgstplay to use it? gst-overlay
(specifically the gst-tv widget) in the sandbox module in CVS shows how
it works, it's extremely simple (one-call API). SDL is causing some
minor trouble here, but generally works. xvideosink works perfectly.
Julie, could you adapt libgstplay/gst-player to work with it?

gst-overlay (in the sandbox module in CVS) shows how to use it.
gst-tv.[ch], specifically, is the widget to look at. It's a fairly
simple one-call API. The widget is a one-element API (give it an element
with xoverlay support, and it'll show overlay). I want to add directFB
support to it too, later on, but we don't have dFB
interfaces/elements/bladiebla yet. I hope Julien will work on that.

I use this tv widget in gst-rec too. Thomas was planning on a standard
GtkWidget library for GStreamer, and I surely hope this will be part of
it. :). However, I'd then suggest renaming it to GstOverlay instead of
GstTv.

Enjoy!

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer