[gst-devel] gst-player instability

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Sep 22 02:08:10 CEST 2003

Hi Colin,

> I'm using Gentoo, and I've got my system updated to the latest libraries
> (gstreamer 0.6.3, gst-player 0.6.0, gst-plugins-xvideo 0.6.3,
> gst-plugins 0.6.3, gst-editor 0.5.0)

Gentoo.  which CFLAGS ?  Not sure what you mean with gst-plugins-xvideo,
maybe that's a Gentoo thing.

> Trying to use gst-player is an exercise in frustration. It crashes
> repeatedly on small mpeg files, etc. etc. Is this to be expected at this
> point, or is the system supposed to be more stable than this?

It's not expected, no.

> I'd also like to help debug the system, but I'm not sure where to start.

Start by filing a backtrace for a simple mpeg file, with a link where we
can download the simple mpeg file.  Also, try using gst-launch-ext on
it, and file a backtrace for that as well if it fails.

Attach output of gst-feedback as well.

Also, check if other things do work (simple audio playback from command
line, gst-launch videotestsrc ! xvideosink, gst-launch sinesrc !
osssink)

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
The clock is set for nine but you know you're gonna make it eight
All the people that you've loved they're all bound to leave some
keepsakes
I've been swinging all the time, think it's time I learned your ways
URGent, best radio on the net - 24/7 ! - http://urgent.rug.ac.be/