[gst-devel] gst-player instability

Colin Fox cfox at cfconsulting.ca
Tue Sep 23 15:20:05 CEST 2003

Thanks to all who replied (Julien, Ronald, Thomas, in7y118).

The problem I'm having with the gst-player is that it's flakey - it
works for a bit, then stops. It's not very repeatable, and it seems kind
of random how it responds. It plays the small mpegs I have, until I try
to do something like slide the time slider. Then it does all kinds of
wierd things - the sound drops out, the screen goes blue, the video
stops and starts, or stutters. In fact, the time slider is completely
useless as a control. It only works as an indicator.

Also, the player *never* plays an AVI, but it doesn't give me an error.
It just hangs, and the CPU usage goes to 100%. I can break it, but as I
said, there's no error.

When I do this:
gst-launch filesrc location="yourfile.mpg" ! spider ! xvideosink

with an AVI, I get this:
INFO (13051: 0) Initializing GStreamer Core Library version 0.6.3
INFO (13051: 0) CPU features: (0c040841) MMX
INFO (13051: 0) registry: loaded global_registry in 0.460910 seconds
          (/var/lib/cache/gstreamer-0.6/registry.xml)
GStreamer-INFO: 0 live buffer(s)
GStreamer-INFO: 0 live bufferpool(s)
GStreamer-INFO: 0 live event(s)
RUNNING pipeline

and then it just sits there at 100% cpu with no video.

The player doesn't crash such that I could track it in GDB. It just gets
flakey and does wrong things.

Help! :)
 cf

--