[gst-devel] Undefined symbols

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmmv at menta.net
Sun Apr 4 01:47:03 CEST 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:07:19 -0800
David Schleef <ds at schleef.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 05:13:31PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > There are lots of plugins, and many of them fail; verifying those one by one
> > is a very tedious taks...  so I think there maybe something broken from the
> > ground up, as I assume it's working ok under linux (haven't been able to try
> > it, though).
> >
> > Any idea what could be causing this?  Some differences in the way dlopen
> > (g_module_open) works?
>
> Possibly.

But how can the function know which other modules does it need to load to get
one working properly?  It can't know which dependencies are needed if they are
recorded nowhere...

I still think that explicitly linking dependent modules together (as I showed
in that "patch") should be done.  (So when you open A, if A uses B, you get B
loaded too).  I can provide some patches for these, if wanted.

> > Note that with 0.6, this problem did not exist...
>
> We haven't really changed how we do plugins since 0.6.

Maybe in 0.6 the plugins I see failing did not have those "hidden dependencies"
between them, so they could load and work.

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv at menta.net>