[gst-devel] Decoupled elements and schedulers

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Thu Apr 8 07:28:01 CEST 2004

Hey folks,

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 17:13, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> The execution of a function can be suspended [at least?] in the
> following cases:
>
> R7: If the function explicitly performs a yield operation, the scheduler
>     is free to suspend its execution and give control to other functions.

If you accept my cothreadless scheduler defense (do you?),
gst_element_yield really shouldn't be allowed. Well, you could arrange
for it to longjmp back to some earlier point in the call stack... I
really think, though, that we shouldn't rely on state stored in the
stack between pushes and pulls. Loop functions should just return.
("Process functions" would be a better name.)

Thoughts?

ps. I got me internet back. Rock the casbah.
--
Andy Wingo <wingo at pobox.com>