[gst-devel] Re: [Matroska-devel] Why porting Gstreamer to Windows would hurt Redmond .....

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Apr 16 02:25:09 CEST 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:

> So, if anybody here has problems with a Windows port because he wants
> Gstreamer to be exclusively usable on Linux desktop's and hates Windows,
> well, IMO you should rethink your point of view here.
>
> What i understand from the matroska team is that using GCC is no option
> for porting gstreamer, for reasons i dont know and won't comment on. So
> please, have an internal meeting and make a decision on how we could
> come together. After all, we are still interested a lot in making this
> happen, but we wont maintain a parallel MSVC version of Gstreamer, with
> the need to rewrite every single plugin to make it compile. I very much
> hope you guys could move into our direction in this matter.

Ronald proposed a solution that would work nicely with MSVC... Why not
use for all systems ? Because some plugins should be rewritten. But
wouldn't these plugins would need to be rewritten for Windows ? Yes. So
in the end these plugins would run under Windows and Linux. But you
don't want this solution, don't you ?

It seems apparent that for GStreamer to be usable under Windows (in a
way that all Windows programmers use) we need some changes. But you
don't want them. So it might be very possible that we make a fork of
GStreamer that would be nice with Windows coders. And that version
(CoreStreamer) would *also* run under Linux and all other platforms you
support. So any coder willing to work on GStreamer will have the choice
between the original GStreamer and CoreStreamer. But one does the same,
and more. What do you think will happen ?