[gst-devel] RTP module

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Apr 20 04:01:01 CEST 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Thomas Barraco wrote:

>  --- David Schleef <ds at schleef.org> a écrit : > On
> > on a
> > any
> > >
> > >      No, the plugin MUST be independent of the
> > > transport protocol.
> >
> > Arguably, at this point in time, it doesn't matter.
> > I'd much prefer
> > to see a solution that works rather than a solution
> > that is
> > architecturally perfect, but doesn't work.
> >

> And what about the udp plugin, is it fonctionnal to
> work with the future rtp plugin ?

If it's not good enough you'd have to make it good enough. :)

FWIW, David and me pretty much agreed that it's a stupid idea to write
seperate RTP muxer/demuxer elements instead of providing src/sink pairs,
because the RTP element requires too much information about the
connection(s) and iirc RTP is bidirectional anyway - even if you
just listen to an RTP stream you need to send stuff. GStreamer streams
are not.

But as David said: a working method is much preferred to a perfect method.

Benjamin