[gst-devel] proposal of new core element

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Apr 21 15:13:09 CEST 2004

Hi Thomas,

audio and video are slightly different. The purpose of the audio one is
make sure that the buffer has a specific/fixed amount of samples. Incoming
buffers might have different amounts of samples, but will still be
aligned. For video, however, each buffer is one, and exactly one, frame.
It makes no sense to have buffers of zero or three or X frames.

For the compressed case, it's even more complicated because of different
sizes per frame. An extension to bytestream would make much more sense
here imo, especially if we make it chain-based functional (or we go ahead
with Dave/Benjamin's idea of making everything iterate-based, in which
case this is not needed). The extension would be to suggest buffer sizes
to previous elements, e.g. something like my proposal of some time ago to
add an optionally implemtable read(num_bytes) call next to the default
get() call to get-based elements.

But maybe others have different ideas...

Ronald