[gst-devel] osssink distortion w/ thinkpad buttons (tpb) polling nvram

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Apr 26 01:53:11 CEST 2004

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Brian Heung wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. In both the 0.6 and 0.8 releases,
> osssink output is distorted when TPB (Thinkpad Buttons) is running. TPB
> is a program that polls /dev/nvram for changes when using extra builtin
> buttons on IBM Thinkpads.
>
> If I set TPB to a longer polling period, the distortion is minimized,
> although it doesn't disappear. This only occurs with osssink and not
> alsasink or esdsink.
>
> Is this a bug?

It's definitely a bug. The interesting question is who is responsible for
this bug?
If it only happens with GStreamer/OSS combo and not with other OSS using
apps and if it happens on any kernel, it's pretty likely that we're at
fault. It doesn't hurt to file this as a bug in our bugzilla though I
don't think anybody from the GStreamer team has a Thinkpad so it's not
very likely that we can do something about it.

Benjamin