[gst-devel] CVS/local out-of-sync & gst-indent

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Apr 28 02:22:07 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 20:56, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently received loads of notices from 'cvs update' that my files
> checksum failed locally, and then it refetches files. The consequence is
> that - on this file - all local changes are lost. This seems to be
> caused by the fact that - on checkin - the server runs gst-inspect on
> them, but the client doesn't, thus bringing those two out-of-sync.
> Result is that the file checksums are different in the next cvs update,
> and the rest as given above.
>
> This is *extremely* bad, I end up doing a lot of double work because of
> this. Please someone fix it immediately, either by immediately removing
> the gst-indent from the server checkin action or by providing a script
> that indents all committed .c files on checkin

This script has been in CVS since the day we did indenting.
gstreamer/tools/gst-indent.

>  (ideally integrated in
> Dave's "cicl" script that I've been happily using for a few weeks now,
> thanks for that btw!).

You can easily add those lines;  take a pick between
a) gst-indent all source files the script marks as changed before
committing
b) cvs update all source files the script marks as changed after
committing
c) a combination of the two, which will squash the rare cases where
there could be a mismatch between server's indent and local indent (The
manual says this is possible, but in practice I haven't seen it happen).

I had looked for a way to hook up a local run on commiting client-side,
but it seems cvs doesn't provide hooks for this (If I'm wrong, then
please let me know).

I was also looking into setting up a proper vim line in the header, and
Johan was going to do emacs, but I guess we got distracted since nobody
except iain asked for that in the first place.  Anyway, if people would
like to see this integrated with their favourite editor, let me know.

Thomas

And I'm not the drowning man you think
I flail my arms and refuse to sink