[gst-devel] channel configuration

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Apr 29 06:56:13 CEST 2004

Quoting "Bultje, R.S." <R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl>:

> From: Benjamin Otte [mailto:in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de]
> > Are there any places where this does not work? Not hypothetical, but
> > prectical, do you know of any apps that use more sophisticated stuff?
>
> Not that I know of right now. The only plugins using this is faad/faac,
> a52dec and dtsdec, and they all use the simple scheme. I don't know how ALSA
> works in this respect, can you shine some light on that? The end goal is to
> make multichannel sounds to (for example) alsasink work easily, right? :).

Afaik ALSA works just like OSS: There's a number of channels defined by the
format you use and those need to be in predefined order.
ALSA doesn't have anything but channels to modify at least.

You might want to look at the xine sources at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xine/xine-lib/src/audio_out/
and
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xine/xine-lib/src/xine-engine/audio_out.h?
rev=1.67&view=auto

There's AO_CAP_MODE_* defines for the different formats. Just look at how
they're implemented in the output plugins and you have a pretty good idea how
multichannel support works for different audio outs.

Benjamin