[gst-devel] string transforms for GObject properties

daniel fischer dan at f3c.com
Fri Apr 30 06:26:21 CEST 2004

hi benjamin,

Benjamin Otte <in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de> (on Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:43:45 +0200 (DFT)):

  > As David said, the launch parser needs to be made to use the deserialize
  > code if possible. It just was never done because noone cared about it...

k, i'm rather busy with my graduation project (of which i'll inform you shortly, as it uses gstreamer a lot once more), so i'll postpone this. someday i'll check out the (de)serialize codebase and see how i can get what i want...

  > Keep in mind that transform functions cannot do what you want in a
  > correct way, because transform functions never fail, which makes them a
  > really bad choice for conversions from strings that users supplied on the
  > command line.

i see. it's probably not even so bad for commandline use (you can just print a warning and set a 'default' value, i agree that's ugly though), but i can imagine this would get me into trouble on the long run (probably does, already :)

alright. i'll come back :) the dirty hack does it for me now.

thanks for the clarification.

-dan

dan at f3c.com
http://f3c.com/dan/