[gst-devel] Re: Call for ideas : Video and Audio sinks for Gstreamer on Windows

Sebastian Hartte Sebastian at Hartte.de
Mon Aug 2 05:26:07 CEST 2004

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> Sebastian Hartte a écrit :
>
>> Oh i almost forgot,
>> is there some way of creating a wrapper element for DirectShow filters?
>> Given the GUID of a filter it should be possible for
>> an element to dynamically create all the pads (pins) and hold an
>> instance of the filter internally. I suppose that could increase
>> the use of gstreamer on windows dramatically since it could be used to
>> play propietary file formats without some nasty
>> hacked wrapper code. (Windows Media 8, 9, etc.)
>

> Yes, I think it should be possible. But that will probably not help
> for DRMed content. But it's still better than nothing.
>
> I don't know exactly how it should work :
>
> - make plugin that allows many input/output kind of pins
> - make the plugin scan the plugins on the system and use that to
> register in the GStreamer registry
> - something else
>
> I hope some COM/DirectShow experts can help in the coming weeks.

I actually did some DirectShow. Hm well there is a way of enumerating
all pins on a plugin, so mapping should be no problem.
What i am more concerned about is format conversion because formats
sometimes are identified via GUIDs on Windows.
However. About the DRMed content. Actually it should help. The
DirectShow filter should have access to the WM DRM database
although it would need to be confirmed first.

About the plugins. Hmm. I think that it could be possible to have a
plugin that can handle every other type of DirectShow filter.
In the end it comes down to converting GStreamer format constants,
enumerating and wrapping the pins/pads and passing trough data
that comes in and passing along data that comes out.

I am quite busy at the moment, otherwise i'd give it a shot.

cu,
Sebastian