[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] jdahlin gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/sys/v4l/

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Aug 12 16:03:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Johan Dahlin wrote:
> No, its not a python problem, the critical I get is inside of gstreamer,
> in the interface supporting code. I don't want to revert it because I'm
> absolutely positive that it is correct:

I can trigger criticals inside GStreamer at any time by providing
unallowed variables or so. That doesn't mean it's a GStreamer bug.

> GInterfaces *are* determined at compile time. You cannot just tell
> GObject to only implement a certain interface if the element is in a
> specific state.

It's not a GInterface. It's a GstImplementsInterface. It's a runtime-check
addition to GInterface.

If you don't understand, read the bits about GstImplementsInterface in the
plugin writer's guide or ask me to describe why it is needed and what it
does. Simply removing code because you don't understand why it's there is
never the right solution.

Please revert.

Ronald