[gst-devel] Call for ideas : Video and Audio sinks for Gstreamer on Windows

Stefan Kost kost at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Fri Aug 13 09:17:08 CEST 2004

IMHO it is absolutely fine to have platform dependent sins and sources. Thats
what the gstreamer API is for (among other things ;-)) - decoupling the
application from the platform. So on Linux we have Alsa-Sources/Sinks, on
Windows e.g. DirectX onea and on the Mac CoreAudio, etc.
The app just uses the sinks the user preferes

Stefan

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> Sebastian Hartte wrote:
>
>> Oh i almost forgot,
>> is there some way of creating a wrapper element for DirectShow filters?
>> Given the GUID of a filter it should be possible for
>> an element to dynamically create all the pads (pins) and hold an
>> instance of the filter internally. I suppose that could increase
>> the use of gstreamer on windows dramatically since it could be used to
>> play propietary file formats without some nasty
>> hacked wrapper code. (Windows Media 8, 9, etc.)
>> bye, Storm
>

> This is certainly possible, but i expect it wouldnt be very easy to do,
> and the goal must be that all plugins for gstreamer are usable on all
> supported platforms, not just Windows, IMO.
>
> ChristianHJW
> matroska project admin
> http://www.matroska.org

      \|/            Stefan Kost