[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] jdahlin gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/sys/v4l/

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Aug 13 13:48:02 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, David Schleef wrote:
> > That's insane.
>
> If it's insane, why did _everyone_ oppose the addition of
> GstImplementsInterface?

People opposed it because I called it GstInterface, which indicated a
direct relation to GInterface.

I called it GstImplementsInterface to solve that. This implies that it's
an interface that checks whether the current instance implements another
interface (and thus, this interface can be used as a dependency by other
interfaces such as tuner, mixer and such). Benjamin was pleased by that,
IIRC. There were no other objections. There *is* no other way of doing
efficient runtime checking of functions.

The only serious complaint that was/is left is that I abuse GObject-style
macros. If that's still a complaint, then I propose renaming those macros
to GST_SOME_INTERFACE_CHECK() and GST_IS_SOME_INTERFACE_CHECK() and using
standard macros for the cast/is macros. That should please everyone, but
can only be done in 0.9 because it's API breakage.

Any other complaints that I should solve? We *NEED* runtime function
checking, we simply cannot do without.

Ronald