[gst-devel] Re: Updated LICENSE_readme in gst-plugins

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Aug 17 01:25:45 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 20:54, Brian Cameron wrote:
> GStreamer team:
>
> I didn't get a single response to the changes I made to the
> LICENSE_readme file.  I've attached it this time so perhaps
> I'll get some comments.  There's more work to be done to this
> file, so I'd much appreciate any comments.

Brian,

that's because license issues are a *hard* problem that none of us
really like working on much.  It's been visited by various people in the
past and never resolved to completion.

I'm hoping Christian will spend some time on this, preferably with you,
in the not-so-distant future.

> Do we want to go any further than just discussing license terms?
> Is there value in trying to describe other legal issues about
> using plugins?

We're a source code project, not a legal team.  We already go way
farther than other projects in describing/being clear about licensing
IMO.  Let's get the basics correct first.

I still have some FSF-statements to put on the GStreamer website once I
sift through the details with Christian.

Thomas

Take my hands between your knees
Once inside
I'll only take the things that shine