[gst-devel] Comparison: MAS, GStreamer, NMM

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Aug 25 07:19:17 CEST 2004

Thomas Vander Stichele a écrit :

> Hi Marco,
>

>>(1) Allow the playback of an encoded audio file (e.g. MP3). This will
>>result in similar setups: a component for reading data from a
>>file connected to a component for decoding connected to a component
>>for audio output. (Together, this is called "pipeline" or "flow
>>graph").
>>(2) Set the filename of the file to be read.
>>(3) Manually request/setup this functionality, i.e. no automatic setup
>>of flow graphs.
>>(4) Include some error handling.
>

> I'm curious about (3) - why should it not be done automatically ? So
> you're saying you just want an application that can only play mp3's ?
> Personally I think a much better test would be to have a helloworld that
> can take a media file and just play it, whatever type it is.  That's
> what users care about, anyway.

Well. I think there should be 2 examples. One for audio-only and one for
"multimedia" in general. That's usually what users tend to use.

Also you should take meta-information in consideration, like the
title/artist of a song/movie, the instant/avergae bitrate of streams,
etc. Any user would like this kind of information.