[gst-devel] Re: Comparison: MAS, GStreamer, NMM

Marco Lohse mlohse at cs.uni-sb.de
Fri Aug 27 00:31:05 CEST 2004

Michael Nottebrock wrote:
[..]

>I can't help noticing that, as usual, portability seems to be of no concern.
>From the three software packages compared here, only gstreamer seems to make
>an actual effort to run on platforms != Linux (it's the only one ported to
>FreeBSD as of now, too). MAS at least states they want to be portable
>(non-Linux development seems to be essentially not happening though) and NMM
>is clearly focused on Linux.

well, for NMM, that is only partly true. From the point of software
desgin, we did care about portability: All platform dependent code is
completely abstracted and therefore hidden within classes. So there is
no inherent portability problem.

The only reason NMM is currently only supported on Linux is quite
simple: the NMM team only has access to Linux systems (PCs or ARM PDA,
e.g. Compaq iPAQ). If someone is willing to help with the support for
other platforms, you are heavily welcome.

Have fun, Marco.