[gst-devel] 0.9 proposals

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Wed Dec 1 07:53:18 CET 2004

Le mercredi 01 décembre 2004 à 15:54 +0100, Benjamin Otte a écrit :

> I'm not sure why you think this is so much better with threads. Threads
> are just an uncontrollable and suboptimal way to have the decision what to
> do next done by someone else and freeing you of the burden to decide for
> yourself by making the kernel decide what to schedule next instead of
> doing it yourself.
> I've always wondered why that would be preferrable.

The obvious case is an NLE, when rendering a simple 2mn scene costs half
an hour. Spreading the rendering across processors allows to speed up
things a lot.
Now, if you can't do that, that means you have to cut your scene in
subscenes and render them in parallel, but the cost in memory (and so in
cache misses) seems higher to me.

	Xav