[gst-devel] CD playback skips

Rob Roland rob.roland at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 21:19:05 CET 2004

I'm guessing that DMA is off on your drive, so digital extraction is
not happening correctly.  gnome-cd-player is probably doing analog
audio output.

I don't know what distro you're using, but you should check the hdparm
output for your CD-ROM drive...  In Debian, you have to apt-get hdparm
but then you can run:

/sbin/hdparm /dev/hdc

(or hdd, etc, whatever device your drive is)

If DMA is off, you can turn it on with:

/sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

That should help.  On Debian, you can edit /etc/hdparm.conf to set the
defaults for boot.

HTH!

   - Rob