[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] ds gstreamer: gstreamer/docs/random/ds/

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Dec 9 22:48:01 CET 2004

Hi guys,

given our ongoing discussion... Rewriting the registry is good, but the
random ideas here are a *really bad idea*:

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 03:31, David Schleef wrote:
> - each plugin has an associated registry XML file.  Each xml file in
>   a plugin directory is loaded to create the in-core registry.

GNOME and KDE *are* *definately* going to be annoyed by the increase in
startup time. Weren't Linux and GNOME primarily slowed down by the fact
that we open up gazillion of small files? This is another, ehm,
une-hundred-something.

> - needed for avidemux:
>   <Company> plugin x create some registry information that says stuff like:
>   <Company> "caps x are fourcc FOOO in avi"
>   <Company> or "caps y may be contained in id3 tagged files"
>   <Company> or "caps z is a valid format to put in an ogg container"

And Benjamin just came up with avitypes, which was removed in
0.3.something or 0.5.something because it really just didn't work.

I like the discussions, I've seen a lot of good ideas, but this is just
not one of them, sorry.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>