[gst-devel] Sound pipe clicks

Laurent Martelli laurent at aopsys.com
Sun Feb 1 12:26:21 CET 2004

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations for all the work you've already
done. Gstreamer looks very promising.

Then the complaint ;-)

I've just played around with gst-launch and was disappointed because
there always seems to be some "clicks" in the sound, even for simple
things such as decoding a vorbis file to oss:

   gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=/tmp/corcovado.ogg ! vorbisfile ! osssink

What's strange is that the sound is perfect when I use the esdsink,
which I believe uses OSS (alsa emulation) and not alsa directly. So I
guess it's not an issue the alsa and my sound carde (Via VT8233 AC97).

And I could not make alsa work:

laurent at stan:~$ gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=/tmp/corcovado.ogg ! vorbisfile ! alsasink
gst_alsa_sink_init...
DONE.
RUNNING pipeline
gst-launch-0.7: pcm_plug.c:882: snd_pcm_plug_hw_params: Assertion `err >= 0' failed.
Abandon (core dumped)

Is there a parameter to tweak so that it work better with oss ?

--
Laurent Martelli
laurent at aopsys.com                                Java Aspect Components