[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] wingo gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/ gstreamer/testsuite/ gstreamer/testsuite/ghostpads/

Brett Kosinski brettk at frodo.dyn.gno.org
Thu Feb 5 16:34:29 CET 2004

> > Then, once more with feeling, how the heck can bindings properly marshal
> > parameters in signal callbacks without resorting to special casing for
> > ever damned signal in the library?
>
> You don't.  And you only have to special-case some signals.

Which ones?  Just the ones with GPOINTER as the type?

Plus, if it's a signal emitted by some custom plugin somewhere, am I
forced to write special case code for that specific plugin?  Or does this
never happen?

> > This is simply *not* a workable
> > solution...
>
> Then fix glib.

Well, Gtk doesn't seem to have this problem, so I'm a little confused as
to why this issue is unique to Gstreamer.

Of course, at this point, my ignorance regarding marshallers starts
showing through.  Are there any good documents kicking around which
explain the ins and outs of signals, callbacks, and marshallers?

Brett.