[gst-devel] Extending a pad template

Martin Soto soto at informatik.uni-kl.de
Mon Feb 9 19:39:13 CET 2004

Hello everyone!

I'm currently refactoring the mpegdemux element, to split it into a pure
MPEG demuxer (mpegdemux itself) and a derived DVD demuxer (the new
dvddemux).  While doing that, I ran into the following problem:

Since the mpegdemux element is now targeted to standard MPEG streams
without extensions, the only supported sound type is MPEG audio.  I
defined a template to the effect that is used by all sound output pads.
The DVD demuxer, on the other hand, supports three other sound types in
addition to MPEG, which means that the sound output pads must use a
different, more general template.  However, when I try to register it in
dvddemux's base_init method, it fails because mpegdemux's base_init
already installed a template with the same name.

What can I do?  There's a gst_element_class_add_pad_template funtion,
but I don't see any gst_element_class_remove_pad_template that I can use
to get rid of the existing template.  Should I add it and submit a
patch?

M. S.
--
Martin Soto <soto at informatik.uni-kl.de>