[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] wingo gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/ gstreamer/testsuite/ gstreamer/testsuite/ghostpads/

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Feb 10 11:12:01 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:57:32PM +0100, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> Quoting David Schleef <ds at schleef.org>:
>
> > It doesn't seem necessary to deprecate gst_value_get_caps(), etc.
> > We should also use G_SIGNAL_TYPE_STATIC_SCOPE whenever it's useful,
> > which means essentially all the time with caps and structures.
> >
> Well, it's completely redundant with (GstCaps *) g_value_get_boxed, so it
> seemed natural to get rid of it.

gst_value_get_caps() would check that the value's type is correct as
well as returning the appropriate type.  I don't see that as redundant.

> According to glib source, a GBoxed may not be NULL. At least g_boxed_copy
> barfs on NULL, too. Which might have been one of the reasons why it didn't
> work with the old caps system.

This is potentially not good, since ((GstCaps *)NULL) is used to
indicate a pad with unset caps.  But, since gst-launch -v tests
this feature, it's obviously not a problem.

dave...