[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] wingo gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/ gstreamer/testsuite/ gstreamer/testsuite/ghostpads/

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Feb 20 04:16:20 CET 2004

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004, David Schleef wrote:

> It doesn't seem necessary to deprecate gst_value_get_caps(), etc.
> We should also use G_SIGNAL_TYPE_STATIC_SCOPE whenever it's useful,
> which means essentially all the time with caps and structures.

Gtk+ uses it all the time for boxed structures, AFAICT.

> Please note that there is only one test in testsuite/ that checks
> correct behavior of a signal.  So relying on the testsuite as your
> only means of testing is probably not wise.

Perhaps having a scheme app that uses the fixate signal is a proper
means of testing ;) I used to use filtered links, but since filtering
in one place doesn't propogate any more, I switched to fixating.

I'm real attuned to refcounting and copying these days, as I try to
ensure guile-gnome doesn't leak memory. I understand there were some
chatters about this for GstPlugin, but I expected you would at least
try out the patch before reverting it. I'm (usually) not a moron.

Wingo.