[gst-devel] spider related discussion

Stefan Kost kost at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Sat Feb 21 02:37:06 CET 2004

Hi Benjamin,

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> Quoting Stefan Kost <kost at imn.htwk-leipzig.de>:
>

>>Problem 1.)
>>The inserting of the spider works (gst_elements_link_many(src,spider,sink)
>>returns true), but running the result does not. When setting the pipeline to
>>play, I get :
>>
>>** (process:13875): CRITICAL **: how to remove plugins?
>>
>>(process:13875): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: Factory for `volume' has no type
>>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>

> gst_element_link_many must be NULL-terminated.

just forgot the NULL here, in the code it is null terminated. Updated from CVS
and now I just get

(process:9627): GStreamer-WARNING **: internal error: push on pad
sink_ident:sink but it has no chainhandler

>>Problem 2.)
>>I am not be able to find out which elements the spider actually inserts (I
>>have
>>used --gst-debug="*:4", using higher values made it impossible to locate
>>anything).
>>

> Use --gst-debug-help to figure out all of the debugging categories. Spider
> debugging categories probably have names starting with "spider".
> So something like --gst-debug=spider*:5 should give you a good output.

Well that helps. Still spider is not reporting what it plugs in :-(

>>Question 1.)
>>Wouldn it make sense if one could tell the spider: 'try to link these by
>>only
>>

> I'm not sure if spider even has a property to limit those to certain element
> classes, but I don't know.

using : 'gst-inspect-0.7 spider' gives
Element Properties:
  name                : The name of the object
                        String. (Default "element")
  factories           : allowed factories for autoplugging
                        Unknown type 68 "gpointer"
;-)

>>Question 2.)
>>Now to that point. Which way would you go?
>>Should the spider be fixed to handle things like 'sinesrc ! spider ! esdsink'
>>(I
>> would say so)?
>>Would you suggest that I care myself about putting the right converters
>>inbetween?
>>

> The correct way to go is to write a better autoplugger. The current
> autoplugger is old and it shows.
> David and I have started working on a replacement and it is going to appear
> during the 0.8 release cycle. It will not be ready for 0.8.0. And it will most
> probably stay as a seperate project, too.
> The current code (which doesn't do very much and certainly nothing useful) can
> be found in CVS at gst-sandbox/gst-autoplug if anyone wants to have a look at
> it, start hacking on it or just wants to read ChangeLog updates.

I'll have a look at it. I was only aware of the gstreamer, gst-plugins and
gst-edit modules (there is no overview of the available modules on the homepage).

ciao
  Stefan
--
      \|/            Stefan Kost