[gst-devel] Please update plugins. I changed the build to export only one symbol from plugins: gst_plugin_desc

Ramón García ramon_garcia_f at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 04:06:04 CET 2004

In order to address the concerns of Benjamin of symbol
pollution, I changed the build of plugins so that only
the symbol gst_plugin_desc is exported.

The change works only with libtool 1.5.2, otherwise
the generated symbols will be the same as before.

The change is portable to all platforms, unless
libtool has a bug (which is the case of libtool <
1.5.2 in Linux).

In addition, there might be some plugins that need to
export specific symbols. In that case, one should put
a costomized GST_PLUGIN_LDFLAGS in the Makefile.am of
that plugin. However, this approach is not very good.
Please contact me if you need to export specific
symbols from plugins.