[gst-devel] New UDPSrc in CVS.

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Feb 26 08:24:09 CET 2004

Hi Ramon,

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 00:59, Ramón García wrote:
> I have opened a branch new-udpsrc where I am placing a
> new implemenation of the UDPSrc plugin.

While we are happy you are working on stuff, it would really be good if
you try to stay on the safe side when you're actually doing these
things.

This means, we are all happy that you work on some things, and that you
announce that you are working on them.  However, when the time comes to
actually commit this to CVS, you really do need to announce that fact
too and ask how to best do this.

In the previous example (the one where you changed exporting of
symbols), you really should have realized it was a pretty invasive
change, and you should have mailed the list before.

For this case, you really should have asked how to best put your new
elements in cvs.  For one, it is not our custom to make a branch only
for a few source files that will change.  Second, the branch you created
doesn't respect our CVS policy for branches at all.

Given these two simple mistakes you made, it really should tell you you
need to verify that what you are doing really is the correct way of
doing it next time.  Every mediumsized group of developers has a few
basic written or unwritten rules in place, and newcomers will find their
changes much easier accepted if they take the trouble to figure out and
respect those rules.

To make it clear: if you're going to commit something in the future, or
change CVS in any way, and it's not just a simple code fix, ask the list
first.

Thanks,
Thomas

I may be qualified
for a one night stand
but I could never take the place of your man