[gst-devel] Regarding the broken MPEG

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Sun Feb 29 00:14:03 CET 2004

Hi devs,

with a checkout of yesterday (for you Europeans: the day before that,
since you'll read this the next morning)...

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=/media/clips/Trance\ Energy\ 2002\
DvDSebRip.avi ! avidemux name=demux .video_00 ! ffdec_mpeg4 !
ffcolorspace ! ximagesink demux.audio_00 ! mad ! osssink

gives me the "very slow playback" thing.

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=/media/clips/Trance\ Energy\ 2002\
DvDSebRip.avi ! avidemux name=demux .video_00 ! { queue ! ffdec_mpeg4 !
ffcolorspace ! ximagesink } demux.audio_00 ! mad ! osssink

works initially. When ran in a debugger, it gives me the "very slow
playback" thing after +/- 10s. Outside a debugger, it crashes after +/-
10s with a segfault, after a "(process:13131): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
file gstdata.c: line 242 (gst_data_unref): assertion
`GST_DATA_REFCOUNT_VALUE (data) > 0' failed"... Result seems to be
random, though, since I didn't get that warning the second time I ran it
outside a debugger (still a segfault, though).

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=/media/clips/Trance\ Energy\ 2002\
DvDSebRip.avi ! avidemux name=demux .video_00 ! ffdec_mpeg4 !
ffcolorspace ! ximagesink demux.audio_00 ! { queue ! mad ! osssink }

"slow playback thing"

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=/media/clips/Trance\ Energy\ 2002\
DvDSebRip.avi ! avidemux name=demux .video_00 ! { queue ! ffdec_mpeg4 !
ffcolorspace ! ximagesink } demux.audio_00 ! { queue ! mad ! osssink }

works.

So, whoever said that we had thread issues (Benjamin ;) ) was right,
except that it seems the other way around. I'm tending to say that our
clocking has issues... I'd like some comments/ideas from Benjamin/Dave
as for what might be causing this and whether we can apply a quickfix to
make this stuff work for 0.8.0.

I also tried mpegdemux on an MPEG and I also tried ffmpeg demuxers
wrapped inside GStreamer (not in CVS yet, but works fairly well locally
:) - see my advogato thing), and all give the same result.

Also, I get it with both optomega and basicgthread.

Now, I know I'm not solving anything, but I'm trying to see how I can
help solving the "playback doesn't work" issues... :). Hope this helps,

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl>