[gst-devel] Needed: xml, xslt, html, design and build system guru

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Jan 6 09:22:01 CET 2004

What do I want?

We need to come up with a way to easily document GstStructures.
(for everybody not knowing what that is:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gstreamer.devel/8768 )
It's used to define events and caps.
(caps are currently documented in
http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gstreamer/gstreamer/docs/random/mimetypes?rev=1.15&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
)
What I want to have is an XML file that describes structures like this
(purely example):
<structure-list>
  <title>GStreamer caps</title>
  <description>This document describes all formats used in GstCaps
structures inside the gst-plugins package. ...</description>
  <structure>
    <name>audio/x-raw-int</name>
    <short>raw audio (integer format)</short>
    <description>Defines raw audio in integer format. This format is
commonly used in soundcards ...</description>
    <see-also>audio/x-raw-float</see-also>
    <see-also>audio/x-adpcm</see-also>
    <entry>
      <name>width</name>
      <type>int</type>
      <description>number of bits in memory are taken up by one
sample in one channel.</description>
    </entry>
  </structure>
</structure-list>
(This format is definitely not fixed. ;))

What do I want the guru to do?
- Come up with a foirmat that works.
- Make this format integrate into our existing gtk-doc framework.
- the resulting Docbook, HTML and devhelp pages should look like they were
output by gtk-doc built docs.

I have no idea if it'd be a good idea to make a header page which just
lists every structure and then one page for every structure or if we
should just put the whole list on one big page.

Anyway, we need this or we'll get in serious trouble with our events now
that people start creating new ones for DVD and whatever they want to work
on.
And caps are in desperate need of that anyway.

Anyone?
Pretty please?

Benjamin