[gst-devel] new capsnego bugs + re-requesting docs

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Jan 8 17:35:00 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:44:11AM +0100, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> some more pipelines that fail with today's CVS:
>
> filesrc location=file.mpg ! mpegdemux .video_00 ! mpeg2dec ! mpeg2dec !
> ffcolorspace ! divxenc ! fakesink
>
> gives a 16x16 buffer to divxenc (the mpeg file isn't 16x16 ;) )...

This is probably an initial negotiation that is later changed when
mpeg2dec discovers the size of the video (and renegotiates).
Unfortunately, I cannot debug this problem, as I don't have divx.

> filesrc location=file.mpg ! mpegdemux .video_00 ! mpeg2dec ! mpeg2dec !
> ffcolorspace ! median ! videodrop ! videoscale ! divxenc ! fakesink
>
> gives a 100x100 buffer to divxenc (again, the mpeg file isn't
> 100x100...). Divxenc will never actually output any data.

This is videocrop's fault, which has since been fixed.

> simply filesrc ! mpegdemux .video_00 ! mpeg2dec ! divxenc ! fakesink
> does work, so capsnego in ffcolorspace/filters seems broken.

I fail to see how this working:

  ... ! semi-working-element ! ...

and this failing:

  ... ! other-element ! semi-working-element ! ...

proves that other-element is broken.

> and I'd again like to request you to write some basic capsnego docs,

And I'm still wondering if you've read
gstreamer/docs/random/negotiation.  (I just updated and added a lot of
info to this doc, so previously it may not have been useful.)

dave...