[gst-devel] state of the union

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Jan 9 05:20:05 CET 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Julien MOUTTE wrote:

> > An example was the improper overlay handling of ximagesink, that obviously
> > hadn't been tested yet.
>
> And that's a good example you are triggering here. ximagesink has been
> modified and it was not working anymore.

Write a test if you want to be sure it's always working. I tend to run
testsuites before checkings, especially if it's not my code.

> so i have something working here, someone got an issue with it then
> modifies it and now it s not working anymore at my place.
>
> It would be much more simple to just tell me what was going wrong with
> this implementation and i try to fix it.

No it would not. The stuff I'm doing requires a working videosink, so if I
have to wait to grab you and tell you to fix it and then wait for you to
actually do it, that might take loads of time, which IMO is not acceptable
for important plugins.

> I spent some hours reverting many changes in ximagesink to bring it back
> to an acceptable state and that's exactly why i agree when thomasvs says
> that we need to have someone being responsible of things.
>
> So if current ximagesink is broken on your machine i will be happy to
> try to fix for you.

I have the test in libgstui in my local CVS. If it doesn't work anymore,
I'll let you fix it (either the test or ximagesink ;).
It heavily stresstests the XOverlay system. Though I still plan to make
the tests even heavier.

Benjamin