[gst-devel] qtdemux questions

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Fri Jan 9 10:36:05 CET 2004

I am very interested in using gstreamer to manipulate and view QuickTime
files.  I have several videos I created a few years ago using the
quicktime4linux library.  Most of the files use MJPEG as their video
codec and Ogg/Vorbis for audio.

I have been twiddling around with gst-launch from a user's point of view
for a while so I am not yet very good with the internals of the system
(I volunteered to late to port GNOME's mixer applet to gstreamer).
Right now, I am using gstreamer 0.7.3.  Though I can create gst-launch
pipelines to play many kinds of audio and video, I can't get my QuickTime
videos to play.

Currently, it seems that qtdemux outputs streams of type video/quicktime
and audio/x-m4a.  I have a few questions:

1.  Does qtdemux support arbitrary video and audio codecs within the
QuickTime framework?  If so, could I see and example pipeline?

2.  If not, what would have to be done to support this?

3.  It seems that qtdemux has replaced the OpenQuickTime gstreamer plugin.
Is this true?  Or is the OpenQuickTime one the more promising plugin?

4.  Can I help with gstreamer/QuickTime?

--
Mike

:wq