[gst-devel] Plugin help/samba streaming

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun Jan 11 04:46:02 CET 2004

Hi Gert,

> I have written a gstreamer source element for gstreamer 0.6.x, that can
> stream files from a samba share. I used gstreamer 0.6.x because it needs
> to run on a debian box we have in the living room :)
>
> I have a problem with it: if I play back an MP3 file
> gst-launch --gst-plugin-spew --gst-plugin-path=. smbsrc
>   location=smb://GERT/music/metal/Marilyn\ Manson/Cleansing.mp3 ! spider !
>   osssink
> for example, everything is fine.
>
> With ogg files however, the ogg filter complains:
> ERROR: /pipeline0/spider0/vorbisfile0: this is not a vorbis file
> execution ended after 1 iterations (sum 50130000 ns, average 50130000 ns,
> min 50130000 ns, max 50130000 ns)

Out of curiosity, and as a question to the others here - what exactly is
wrong with filesrc/gnomevfssrc that it cannot be used for samba shares ?

I thought we were moving away from separate plugins for this sort of
thing.  If we want plugins based on access method, this probably should
be subclassed again, no ?

Thomas

The girl that I could never hurt
had to go and lose all that power over me
and I claimed victory