[gst-devel] tags and metadata

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Jan 21 12:42:04 CET 2004

El mié, 21-01-2004 a las 21:34, David Schleef escribió:

> Right now, I suggest leaving streaminfo and metadata combined into
> the same tag, and the application should assume that everything
> associated with certain tags (e.g., "codec" or "length") be
> considered streaminfo, and everything else be considered metadata.
> That quite closely approximates what we actually want, since "length"
> in an id3 tag doesn't somehow magically become metadata.

Sounds like a plan, but ...
> After 0.8, perhaps we should add this information to the tag registry
> itself, to indicate the purpose of each tag.

suppose I could get this done this week, is there any reason we would
really want to subject ourselves to a lot of pain by waiting for another
cycle to get this in ? It's a fairly small change to a system that's
already fairly well evolved.  It's kind of annoying if we had something
in 0.6, then something new in 0.8, and only really useful in 0.10

I'd really like something like this in and in return will help fix all
tag-related bugs and help implementing tags on all the features.  I
REALLY want this to finally work well in GNOME.

Thomas

"Don't worry, Joey, it's unisex."
"Maybe you need sex, I just had some a couple of days ago !"
"No, no, U-N-I-sex !"
"Well, I ain't gonna say no to that !"