[gst-devel] error explanation

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Jan 21 19:11:03 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:46:21AM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > - I'm not sure if abbreviating error domains and codes is a good idea.
> > It's especially bad when grepping.
>
> I like the short statements coming from it.  grepping doesn't make it
> harder, since they always appear together.  Ie, you can grep for
> "RESOURCE, READ" or "RESOURCE.*READ" if our style isn't fixed yet, and
> get the same results as you would for GST_RESOURCE_ERROR_READ

I don't think abbreviations are a good idea, either.  It has
bad namespace issues.  In particular, it requires a non-gstreamer
plugin package (such as gst-science) to prefix all its private error
codes with GST_, whereas it would normally use GSTSCI_.

> The goal here was to aim for making it so simple people stop wimping out
> on actually having error statements in the code at all.

I think it's more likely that people don't use gst_element_error()
because few of the elements use it currently.  Plus, we've been
planning a transition for gst_element_error(), so why add stuff
before the transition that will just need to be changed?

dave...