[gst-devel] tags and metadata

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jan 22 09:07:03 CET 2004

Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:

> Anyway, feel free to quote the relevant bits from specs and so on.  But,
> while I'm happy you're addressing some of the theoretical concerns,
> right now I'm concerned with fixing up the applications using GStreamer
> so they have their functionality back.  So I don't feel like going into
> a legal-like discussion about semantics.

It's about semantics all the time. If you don't define the semantics for
something, it's of no use, because everybody can use it for anything and when
you get around requesting it, it means just that: anything.
That's the point in writing a library in the first place: You abstract away
functionality by making it adhere to your semantics. This requires semantics
first.

This "I'll implement what I think is useful, we'll think about what it means
later" has brought us stuff like the last metadata implementation, locked
states and our current threading state.

Write first, think later is ok for apps. Libs should do think first, write
later.

Benjamin