[gst-devel] error explanation

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Jan 22 11:47:11 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:22:29PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> We are talking about the same thing, right ? The enum still is full
> form, ie GST_RESOURCE_ERROR_READ.  Only the macro uses shorthand and
> expands it to this.  So I'm not really sure this really brings namespace
> conflicts.

Currently, "gst_element_error()" looks like a function call, not a
macro.  For this reason, I expect it to look and act like a function
when I call it.  Composing arguments (i.e., GST_ ## arg) is a macro
feature which is completely dissimilar to how functions work -- I
strongly suggest that any macro that composes arguments to be
capitalized, so that there's a visual reminder that it's macro and
not a function.

If you decide that it officially should act like a macro, (and
preferably capitalize it), then I have no objections to using any
kind of screwy (non-function-like) syntax.

dave...