[gst-devel] tags and metadata

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Fri Jan 23 08:26:02 CET 2004

W liście z pią, 23-01-2004, godz. 16:49, Benjamin Otte pisze:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Mathrick wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I don't really understand your concern. How is it better than
> > having it hardcodes into nautilus media, as you proposed? What is the
> > problem with changing that info if you think it's wrong? And no, it's
> > not true that every plugin should comply to the "rules set in stone
> > there", it's the "rules" that have to correspond to reality, otherwise
> > these rules have no value, do they? But even if plugins does not
> > "conform" to the rules, what harm is done other than app thinking that
> > streaminfo is metadata or other way around?
> >
> What useful is the distinction of streaminfo and metadata if noone
> complies with it anyway?

No, I don't say I don't want plugins to comply, I say plugins have
nothing to do with complying or not. Plugins' job is to extract tags,
however they achieve that, and correct description is job of whoever is
responsible for writing that into registry. Plugins just don't care what
is written in there.

> > Sure, that's why I think it still should be possible for example to sort
> > by "bitrate" column, if that's what you mean by bitrate being metadata.
> > But it doesn't change the fact we want to present bitrate through label,
> > not entry box.
> >
> So what you're after is still a distinction between writable and not
> writable?

No, I'm still after distinction between metadata and streaminfo. And of
course one of consequences of that is (potential) writability, and what
follows way of presenting that to the user. But that's side-effect, not
cause.

> > That's what I asked about in other post. As long as "length" tag flagged
> > GST_TAG_FLAGS_{INFO,DERIVED} is separate from "length" not flagged as
> > such, everything is fine. Actually, *not* having that distinction is
> > what'd make adjusting id3 length tag difficult.
> >
> So you want to have 2 different length tags?

Yes, where different == reachable independently. Btw, how would you
adjust id3 length w/o having 2 different tags?

Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"
   Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 at wp.pl>