[gst-devel] XOverlay or re-parenting

Thomas Comiotto comiotto at rcfmedia.ch
Sat Jan 24 09:12:01 CET 2004

thanks,

> > Will take a look at that, but I think I have a more fundamental problem
> > here anyway since I try to create a 4 way split-screen (4 videosinks
> > embeded in one GTK window) and GTK doesn't seem to support multiple
> > stolen sockets packed into a non-toplevel container (packing would be
> > required for placement, wouldn't it). Is there a way to create a video
> > split-screen with the plugins available for GST 6.4 ? .....
>
> - Create a gtk table of 4 cells
> - Use gstvideowidget from gst-player in each one of those cells
> - Get the video window of each one of those gstvideowidget
> - Pass them to the appropriate video sinks (ximagesink would be the best
> in your case) using the XOverlay interface.

Guess this approach only works for GST 7.3 or later. Thought that the player
related code was broken (besides that, I can't get the gst-player 0.6-0
compiled here but of course I could figure out why or go with cvs). I ran
into quite some sorts of problems with 7.3 before and cvs didn't build with
me for several times a couple of weeks ago - 6.4 however runs just fine. No
way of doing it with the stable release ? or do I again miss something
here...

And, are there some XOverlay related docs available somewhere or example
snippets? Can't find anything anywhere in the current api and similar docs.

best,
thomas